Thursday, March 12, 2009

Chapter 13 really changed my impression of Orgoreyn. I used to like Orgoreyn more than Karhide but now I have changed my mind because Orgoreyn seemed like a communist dictatorship where people have no rights and are not told what is going on in their society. When Genly Ai was taken I got the impression that he hadn't really done anything wrong their fear and suspicions of him drove them to treat him so badly. it seems really unfair that all of those people would just be arrested and sent to prison without any kind of trial or even being told what they had done wrong. even when they were all so close to death on the bus Mr. Ai said they acted really obediently. At least in Karhide all the people knew what was going on and that Mr. Ai was the envoy, where as in Orgoreyn none of the citizens are told anything. The only people who get to decide things are the thirty-three. It reminds me of communist Russia in the way it is governed and the citizens or Commensals are treated. I also found it really disturbing that no one helped the dying people other than Mr. Ai and when he asked everyone to share the water equally no one listened.
I would also like to point out that I really like that we made that encyclopedia on Wednesday because it is hard to keep all the people and places straight.

1 comment:

  1. Great! I'm glad you found defining the terms helpful, Catriona. I'll be sure to have it posted by this weekend if not sooner.

    ReplyDelete