Wednesday, April 15, 2009

The chapters dealing with the pregnancy were really confusing to me because there were so many flashbacks and the information in them didn't seem to be that important or give us any crucial information. It seemed like not a lot happened for a long time. also what happened with Nick. She seems to have just completely dropped that subject, I still think they are going to get together. I was also wondering what will happen if she gets pregnant and it was obviously not from one of the ceremonial days? Will she be in trouble? Will they get caught? Also what is the punishment procedure with commanders can they be punished? I wouldn't be surprised if they were immune from being punished. I am a little bit confused about what happens with children. Do all children get taken away? Why can't the wives or the handmaids just raise them they even have the help of the Marthas?

1 comment:

  1. Yes I agree with you about Nick being completely dropped for awhile. But finally Nick has come back into the picture and you were right! Nick and Offred DID get together! If she did get pregnant not from one of the ceremonial days then how would they know? The ceremony takes place every month and i'm assuming it takes a few months before you actually start to see a tummy. The only way they would find out is probably by DNA testing. It kind of reminds me of the Maury show where they have DNA testing to find out who the father is. But whether or not they do find out, it would be a blessing to the society that she even became pregnant. I'm also confused about the children. I think all children DO get taken away. Maybe a child would set the Handmaids off track from producing more children. I guess the Handmaids are "working" and children shouldn't disturb them while they are "working."

    ReplyDelete