Monday, April 27, 2009

I am so mad because I really liked this book up until the end. I hate when books just end without explaining anything. At the end of Handmaids Tale we don't know if she got away safely or if it was a trap. When i finished the chapter I thought there was going to be another one and then there wasn't it was so upsetting. I've decided that Offred, or whatever her real name is, escaped the society with them and they were people disguised as eyes. I think this book should have an epilogue so that it can explain all the unanswered questions. Did Nick escape? Did she ever find Luke? Did she have a baby? Where did she go? there are so many unanswered questions. It is really sad that ofglen killed herself what if was really her team that was coming for her, what if they were disguised as Eyes just like the ones who came to get Offred? I am kind of confused by the last sentence "And so I step up, into the darkness within; or else the light." I wonder what she means?

1 comment:

  1. I agree! I really want to know what happens at the end and if it is a sad of happy ending. That's what i kind of assumed too! I wanted the Eyes to be the "good guys" and rescue her from this society to live her life normally again. But reality is, Science Fiction is a very mysterious and "out of this world" subject so I guess I could understand why Altwood would not want to give closure to the book. It is also a very good way to begin a discussion in class! Because there could be many possible answers and it kind of forces us to think creatively and wonder what happens next.
    "And so I step up, into the darkness within; or else the light." I interpreted this quote, the darkness being into the Eyes where they will take her to be killed. Her fate as death. The light meaning that they are only disguised as Eyes to rescure her and take her to a better life. She is kind of playing on two meanings here because it can also be that she is stepping up into the truck where it is dark inside because there are no windows, or it could be her death. It can also be that the light is her death because she does not have to live in this society anymore and she is finally free. But i don't think light is her death because at the end she wanted to stay in the society with Nick. Im pretty sure Altwood was trying to convey her death as the darkness.

    ReplyDelete