Sunday, April 12, 2009

I am actually really enjoying reading the Handmaid's Tale. It really keeps my attention and I want to know what is going to happen next. i feel so bad for Offred it sounds like one of the worst lives someone could have. I don't understand how the government could have just decided this is now how they want society to be run. How did they get everyone to go along with this? I assume that most women and men would have been opposed to this idea and probably still are. How could things have escalated to that point? I wonder what happened to Luke I hope he is ok and I hope that there is a happy ending to this book. I knew right from the beginning that something was going to happen with Nick and Offred. The thing that is kind of confusing about this book is the flashbacks. I get really confused with what is present day and what is in the past.

1 comment:

  1. I agree! I also enjoy reading this book. Offred and the other Handmaids do have tough lives to live. After bearing each of their children and milk feeding them for a few months, they are forced to leave the child and transfer to a new household to bear yet a new child that they cannot keep. But on the brighter side, they are somewhat properly cared for and they don’t have to do any homework! But I’d imagine homework being better then having nothing to do at all. I also wonder how that society came to be. I would definitely not want to live in a society like that. But somewhere in the story Offred talked about how it was partly her choice to become a Handmaid. So maybe in order for the community to survive there had to be some sort of sacrifice from the women who could produce children. Handmaids were the society’s only hope. If society relied almost mainly on me to sacrifice to keep it alive, in my opinion I would consider it. =) Luke! Where could he be? Is he alive? I hope we find out soon! What was kind of confusing to me also was the fact that Nick did kiss Offred, but Margaret Atwood has not mentioned anything more about that subject. Maybe it’s not as important then we think. But I doubt it! Hehe Hopefully the subject of Nick and Offred will come about soon!

    ReplyDelete